Akeelah and the Bee

Viewed in
2007 (x2)

Premise
A black girl from South Central Los Angeles strives to be spelling bee champion.

Who should watch
Those who want something warm and fuzzy (but not cheesy).

Thoughts
This was a very likable movie. I could not help but cheer for Akeela thanks to Keke Palmer's wonderful performance. In the hands of an inferior filmmaker, the irresistible drama that is the Scripps National Spelling Bee might have been overdone. Thankfully, it was portrayed as is.

Given this was an urban-underdog story, there was some predictable moments, such as the hip hop music slowly transformed into inspirational soul. Also, I felt some of the revelations between Akeela and her coach was too convenient.

To make up for some of these flaws, a lot of the minor characters were not caricatures and very well acted. I really liked the twist at the climactic showdown. Overall, I felt very happy and inspired after watching this film.

On a personal note, I nearly was taken out of the movie from some randomness. There was some funny casting with Jack Bauer's Chinese torturer, Crab Man from 'My Name is Earl', and local Los Angeles news-hottie, Lauren Sanchez. Last trivial fact: this was the first film produced by Starbucks. Strangely, I did not see any product placement.

What I would change
N-O-T-H-I-N-G (I know, that was lame)