Adventureland

Viewed in
2009

Premise
In 1987 Pittburgh, a college graduate is forced to work at the local amusement park, and learns about life.

Who should watch
Those who like smart, realistic coming-of-age dramas.

Thoughts
No sophomore slump for director Greg Mottola.

Probably due to the marketing, I thought I was watching a teen sex comedy with wacky characters (which would make sense given the settings). I was pleasantly surprised by the believable story about a young man learning about love and complicated relationships. Given my lack of sexual/romantic experience, I totally related to the awkwardness and shattered idealism exhibited by the main character, played by Jesse Eisenberg.

The cast was very good. I know she gets blasted for lack of acting in the 'Twilight' series, but I thought Kristen Stewart was very sympathetic as the troubled love interest of Eisenberg. As for the minor characters, they were all excellent, kids and adults alike, unknowns and stars alike. Granted it was a small part, but I do not see why there is so much hate for Ryan Reynolds' acting. Krisetn Wiig and Bill Hader were hilarious as the bosses of the park.

As mentioned before, I did not classify this as a comedy whatsoever. Though there were some very funny moments, such as when the bosses are chilling in their office, Eisenberg runs in being chased by a an angry, dangerous cusomter, Hader deals with the customer, then the bosses return to chilling, as if nothing interested had just happened.

Another thing I really liked was the selection of music. There was a great collection of appropriate music for the era, from excellent (Velvet Underground and Lou Reed) to to popular (Falco and Foreigner).

While Eisenberg was very good at portraying a naive young man, his character lacked the charm for me to love this semi-loser lover boy. A bigger issue I had was the last act. The last complication was a love story cliche and the happy ending seemed a little too Hollywood after all the excellent realistic relationships and behaviors of the characters beforehand.

Overall, it was a nice little film with flawed young adults growing up before our eyes. It might be something that entertains and enlightens young moviegoers.

What I would change
Not sure.