The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland

Viewed in
2012

Formats
HDTV

Premise
Elmo stumbles into Grouchland while searching for his lost blanket.

Loved
Elmo!

Disliked
Humdrum writing and songs.

Thoughts
Not surprisingly, it was very very cute.  I was afraid Elmo's adorableness would wear off, but it didn't, which was a good thing.  It was cool to see a bit more production value for the set and special effects.  I also enjoyed the funny commentary/interruptions from Bert and Ernie.

Meanwhile, the rest of the movie was so-so.  The songs were forgettable, story was simplistic, the villain was an illogical hoarder, and I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a moral to the story.  I found the Blue's Clues tactic of audience participation cheesy and underutilized at the same time.

The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland would make a decent distraction for young kids, though frankly, I think replaying Sesame Street episodes would make a better baby-sitter.